About Me

John and I have been married for 9 years and live in Katy, Texas in our first home. Johnny is seven years old now and is a blast to be around. Olivia is four and is a little busy bee. We had Drew in April and have loved having a baby in our home again. John works at his father's company, G&A Partners, and just received his MBA from the University of Texas. As for me, I'm playing mommy all day and just loving life!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Last Day

Last day with Grandpa...

My mom got a phone call from grandma Saturday morning (Aug. 7) saying that we should hurry to the hospital, the heart doctor was there and it was not good news. So mom, dad, the kids and I piled in the car and drove quickly to the hospital. I went up with mom while dad stayed in the car with the kids. We went in and grandma was crying, never a good sign because she has been so strong during this process. The doctor came in shortly after, sat by the bed and talked directly to grandpa. He was very alert and aware that morning which was such a blessing. He told grandpa that the artificial heart was no longer an option. Neither was going to the home in Richfield. He told gramps that his heart was barely working, his kidneys were gone and he would not spend much longer on this earth. Grandpa sat there with his head hung saying "I know, I know. I thought I had a little bit longer." Grams, mom, and I sobbed quietly as we listened . We knew this would happen some day, we had been waiting for it for three years but the time was here. And suddenly we were not ready. I couldn't stop crying. I knew deep down today would be my last day with my grandpa. I had been in Provo for six days, my dad had to leave that night to be back to Az by Monday and I had a flight leaving the next Saturday. My poor babies had endured hours and hours of sitting in the hospital. The timing was just right. I didn't know when/if gramps would pass away. Maybe it would be one day, maybe it would be ten days. Do I stay? Do I go? So I prayed...a lot. And I got to spend one last wonderful day with my grandpa.

The entire time I was in the hospital with grandpa, he had no appetite. I really didn't see him eat anything but that morning I asked if I could get him anything and he said "yes, some strawberries and pineapple. Big juicy strawberries" (as he held up his fingers showing me how big). I grabbed my purse and ran straight out the door. The cafeteria around the corner was closed, the cafeteria downstairs had no fruit so I came back, found the nurse and started bawling. I did that a lot. I told her that he hadn't eaten anything in days and all he wanted was strawberries and pineapple. She was so sweet, called the dietician people and in 15 minutes, they had a fancy little bowl just for him.

What would normally be such a silly, ordinary moment was one of the most special moments I've ever had and one that I will cherish forever.







Grandpa was so adorable all day. Making us laugh, which then made us cry. He is one of the happiest people I know. His sense of humor was fully intact until the very end.

When the California family heard the news they called one by one to say their goodbyes over the phone. He had such sweet conversations with each of them. He told Sharilyn (as she sobbed) that it sounded like she was having a bad day. And to remember to always make good choices. He told Jacob (as he sobbed) to call him back when he got himself together:) He told Jared that he was sorry he didn't take him fishing the last time he visited, that he would take him another time. He told Daniel that he loved him buddy. He had seen Shannon a few days earlier and smiled so big as he talked to her. He told his son, Scott how much he loved him too. We sat and smiled and cried some more as we watched him say goodbye to each one of his Baker grandkids.


I'm so glad I got a shot with grandma right next to her love, where she sat for three years.




He felt like sitting up so we took another family picture. Look at the way she looks at him.

The last picture of grandpa. A picture of his hands. Probably my favorite piece of him. And his mustache of course. Even while we thought he was sleeping, he was always doing something with his hands. Tying pretend knots, trying to find something or trying to find the remote which was always in his hands.

Saturday night at around 9:00, dad and the kids came back to get me and it hit me. It was time to go, time to say goodbye to my grandpa. Forever. I struggled to breathe. He was sleeping so I thought I would just kiss him on the forehead and slip out. But as I grabbed his hand, he woke up and said "what's going on sweety?" I just looked him in the face and told him how much I loved him, gave him two big kisses and one more hug. and he told me he loved me too. And I've always known that. And then we all walked out the door. Sobbing of course.

**Just so I don't forget. Johnny was a little teary eyed and papa mike asked him what was the matter. His reply: "nothing, my eyes are just sweaty" And dad walked out with tears in his eyes, shut the door and sighed, "uhh that was the hardest part." Yes it was dad. You cute dork.

I will miss my sweet grandpa so much but I know that I will see him again someday and that brings me so much peace. Love you grandpa.

We met Ry and Jess at McD's to say goodbye since we only get to see them once a year. Good luck in Italia!!!




4 comments:

The Nixon Family said...

I;m crying now. We love you too Grandpa Baker!

Marci said...

Oh, that totally made me cry. I'm so glad you got to spend those last days with him and that you have these pictures of you too together...especially the ones of you feeding him...sooo cute!

Isaura said...

such a sweet, special, story mckell. i'm glad you were able to spend some last moments with your grandpa and even feed him one of his last meals.
you got me all teary eyed too.

Kendra and Nathan said...

Mckell, that was so beautiful. Love you. You're giving us all a good cry.